GRANT RECIPIENTS: Pine Grove School
- 2010 Duffy Family Grant, Playing for Keeps: A Playground for ALL Students, Jon Moss and Christopher Grgach, PGS, Grade Pre-K thru 4 – The grant will fund the proposed academic components: a sign language panel, a Braille panel and an alphabet panel that will allow primary students to practice their language skills. In addition, it will fund a mock storefront that kids can use to practice basic skills offering an authentic application of math lessons that are taught even into fourth grade.
- 2009 Mini Grant, Graphic Novels: A Novel Approach to Reading Instruction, Christopher Grgach and Jonathan Moss, PGS, Grade 3, Reading – “Graphic novels” use drawings to enhance the story. They have been found to be very effective in encouraging boys to read. Funds will purchase texts leveled on the Fountas and Pinnell Guided Reading rating system to benefit different types of learners.
- 2008 Avon Junior Women’s Club Mini Grant, Leaping into Learning, Lisa Fenn, RBS with Erin Dorsey, PGS and Laura McDonnell, RBS, Grade 1, Science – Scientific inquiry that investigates the life cycle of the frog culminating in a “Swap and Hop Day” when all 1st graders will gather to share results and release their former tadpoles. Collaboration between the schools will be enhanced by a web blog of frog progress.
- 2007 Program, Chidsey Brook Nature Trail, Leigh Ann Bacevich, Community Project Leader & Gail Dahling-Hench, Principal, PGS, All Ages, Natural Science - The mission is “to provide a fun and educational classroom where the whole community can explore, learn, and develop a relationship with one another and nature.” Located on 2 acres adjacent to PGS. Broad community support and collaboration.
- 2005 Routt Family Mini Grant, SMART Board for Smart Teaching, Jonathan Moss, PGS, Grade 3, Multi-disciplinary – Acquire a SMART board, an interactive white board, to allow teachers and students to interact with computers in exciting new ways.
- 2004 Lublin Family Mini Grant, Reading Success through Early Intervention, Barbara Daly-Byrnes & Jodi Kryzanski, PGS, Grade K, Reading – Materials to extend existing program to enhance the development of sight vocabulary.