GRANT RECIPIENTS: Avon Free Public Library
- NEW - 2012 AEF Service Award, Richard Kisiel, Ed.D., Retired Superintendent, Funds will support the library’s “2013 One Book” initiative. This is a community read project. Funds will be used to acquire additional copies of Rebecca Skloot’s book, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and to support other aspects of this project.
- 2011 The Hyatt Family Grant, Avon to Appomattox: Lives and Legacy of the Civil War, Patrice Celli and Tina Panik, AFPL, All Ages, History – Through diverse displays and events, demonstrate the role of CT in the Civil War and its impact on CT’s citizens, economy and social fabric. Examples: the portrayal of William Webb, an African American soldier from CT, to be performed in the schools; letters of Pvt. Eugene Hawley from Avon who served for 3 years.
- 2009 Program, Promoting Peace, Tina Panik and Patrice Celli, AFPL, Grade 7-Adult, Humanitarianism – This program will host authors Alepho Deng, Benson Deng and Benjamin Ajak, three “Lost Boys” whose autobiography, They Poured Fire on Us from the Sky, recounts their survival of the ongoing genocide in Darfur. The high school, middle school and Senior Center are collaborating. Middle schoolers will read a less graphic companion book. The event is scheduled for October 2009.
- 2006 Avon United Fund Mini Grant, Here They Come! The Creative Author Process, Karen McNulty, AFPL, Grade K-3, Reading, Writing, Illustration – Bring children’s book author David Costello to explain the book writing and illustration process to young readers.
- 2006 Mini Grant, Susan B. Anthony: The Invincible!, Tina Panik, AFPL, Grade 7-Adult, Women’s History – Actress Sally Matson portrays Susan B. Anthony in a one woman play during Women’s History Month in March 2007.
- 2005 Avon Junior Women’s Club Mini Grant, Children’s Author Visitation, Carol Randolph & Karen McNulty, AFPL, Grade K-4, Reading – Bring a children’s author to visit the library during National Children’s Book Week.